Guidance and Information on Houston Riot Cases

The following information is provided to those individuals believing they are dependents of the Soldiers from the 3rd Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment who recently had records corrections completed.  For a list of those names, please click on the Army Press Release below.

Once notification is received that the corrections from the Secretary of the Army’s decision have been completed, decedents wishing to apply for financial claims (or more document corrections) should follow the following two-step process:

STEP 1)  Obtain former service members’ military record from the National Personnel Records Center

Per the National Personnel Records Center Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests | National Archives, military personnel   records, including the corrected records for the Soldiers from the 24th Infantry Division, are open to the public 62 years after they leave the military. Records of any veteran who separated from the military 62 (or more) years ago can be ordered by anyone by following the instructions at the link above.

Certain basic information is needed to locate military service records. This information includes: the veteran's complete name as used in service; service number; branch of service; date and place of birth; dates of service. For records affected by the 1973 fire (in this case they were), additional information, such place of discharge; last assigned unit; and place of entry into service may be useful.

STEP 2)  Apply to the Army Review Boards Agency (ARBA)

After obtaining a copy of a Soldier’s personnel record, descendants (generally next of kin, close relative, or legal representative in accordance with Title 10,   U.S.C., Section 1552 and Title 32, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 581.3) may request, via application to the ARBA, additional corrections or a claim for   benefits because of the affected Soldier’s record corrections.

Instructions for applying to the Army Board for Correction of Military Records are found at .  Individuals should include documentation to prove a relationship to the deceased Veteran and may apply online at or submit a DD Form 149, Application for Correction of Military Record by mail to:  Army Review Boards Agency (ARBA), 251 18th Street South, Suite 385, Arlington, Virginia 22202-3531.

Questions may be directed to  After applying to ARBA, applicant are informed decisions may take up to 18 months to complete

STEP 3) Contact the Department of Veterans Affairs about benefit eligibility

In a public ceremony on February 22nd, 2024, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) replaced the headstones of 17 soldiers from the 24th Regiment interred at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery to properly show corrected rank and service information.

VA is interested in ensuring the proper marking of the graves of other soldiers from the 3rd Battalion, 24th Regiment wherever they may be located. If you have information regarding the location of any of these gravesites, VA encourages you to contact Gerald Lefler, Director of Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery at 210-820-3891. If you are a descendant or other family member of one of the 110 soldiers of the 24th Infantry Regiment and are interested in information about potential VA burial and memorial benefits, please call the Director of Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery at the number above.

Individuals believing they are dependents of these soldiers may make a claim for additional benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs.  More information can be found at:

VA Benefits For Spouses, Dependents, Survivors, And Family Caregivers | Veterans Affairs

Review the Army Press Release – Houston Riots