Appealing Unfavorable Information in Military Records

Department of the Army Suitability Evaluation Board (DASEB)

Army Regulation 600-37, Unfavorable Information, provides information on filing and appealing unfavorable information in the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). Unfavorable information is any credible derogatory information that may reflect on a Soldier's character, integrity, trustworthiness, or reliability and includes letters of reprimand and Articles 15.

Army Regulation 600-37 -

Chapter 7 of Army Regulation 600-37 provides information on appeals to remove unfavorable information or move unfavorable information into the restricted section of the OMPF.

Applications to the DASEB may be closed without action for the following reasons:

  • Applicant is NOT an E-6 or above, officer, or warrant officer
  • At least one year has NOT elapsed since imposition of the reprimand (GOMOR or LOR), admonition, censure, or Article 15
  • At least one non-academic evaluation report has NOT been received since the last academic report
  • Applicant is NOT on active duty status or is a drilling Reservist or National Guard
  • Applicant requests removal or transfer of a document that can be removed or transferred by the imposing authority
  • Removal of Court-martial or Article 15 can only be considered by the Army Board for Correction of Military Records (ABCMR)
  • Request for reconsideration does NOT provide substantial additional new evidence
  • The document in question is not found in the OMPF/IPERMS.

Active Duty Soldiers (all components) and U.S. Army Reserve Soldiers in Troop Program Units (TPU) are to submit appeals to the Department of the Army Suitability Evaluation Board (DASEB) in accordance with procedures outlined in chapter 7. A sample appeal memorandum is given below. The DASEB mailing address is: Army Review Boards Agency (ARBA), 251 18th Street South, Suite 385,Arlington, VA 22202-3531.

Sample DASEB Appeal Memorandum

Army National Guard Soldiers not on Active duty will direct their appeals through state Adjutant General and the Chief, National Guard Bureau, to the Department of the Army Suitability Evaluation Board (DASEB) in accordance with procedures outlined in chapter 7,
AR 600-37.

Retired and separated Soldiers and Soldiers, in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) do not apply to the DASEB; they must apply to the Army Board for Correction of Military Records (ABCMR) to remove from or move unfavorable information within their OMPF (please see the 'Correction of Military Records' page on this website for application procedures.)

If, after exhausting your appeal to the DASEB, you still feel that there is an error or injustice in the information in your military file, you can apply to the Army Board for Correction of Military Records on a DD Form 149 for removal of unfavorable information from your file or transfer from the performance section to the restricted section. You can complete an online application at and send the signature page and evidence as instructed by the online program, or you may print a blank DD Form 149 from the Army Review Boards Agency website at and mail it to the address shown on the reverse of the form. As part of your evidence you need to provide copies of the DASEB decision letter and any other correspondence you have had with other agencies to try to resolve your issue.

Removal of Articles 15

Please consult:

  • Army Regulation 27-10, Military Justice; paragraph 3-37 & 4-41; Table 3-2 (Removal of Records of Non-judicial Punishment from Military Personnel Files).
  • Army Regulation 600-8-104, Military Personnel Information Management/Records, Table 2-1 (under numbered form 2627 (DA)).
  • Army Regulation 600-37, Unfavorable Information, Chapter 7.

Name Titling in Army Records and FBI Records

A former or current Soldier can apply to the US Army Crime Record Center (CRC) to request the removal of titling from Army Records. If the CRC directs removal of the titling action, it will also inform the National Crime Records Center to take like action with regard to its records derived from CRC's records. The applicant must send a letter of request with his/her signature and a photo copy of his/her Photo ID Card such as a driver's license. Also include with the letter a photo copy of any documents relative to the titling and evidence that charges were dismissed and the former Soldier was not convicted of the charges. Mail all to US Army Crime Records Center, Attention: FOIA, 6010 6th Street, Fort Belvoir, VA 22060.

If the CRC denies the request, then application can be made to the Army Board for Correction of Military Records using the DD Form 149 or online application to request removal of the titling. Include with the application a photo copy of all documents sent to the CRC and the reply from the CRC.